All welcome at our 2 dropins every week! ESOL, various activities, refreshments, meals, friendship…
Fridays at St James Parish Centre (off Walter Road), SA1 4QF, 4pm to 7pm
Saturdays at York Place Baptist Church, York Street, SA1 3LZ, 12-3pm.
Thank you to all the volunteers making it happen! New volunteers are always welcome – you might be a refugee, an asylum seeker, or neither – you can help. Contact us.
‘Thank You to SASS’
Alhaji Kamara has written a poem called ‘Thank You to SASS’, in his book Afromantic. Alhaji has been part of SASS for nearly 20 years. He lives in Birmingham now, but he comes back here whenever he can!
MORE ABOUT SASS AND PARTNER ORGANISATIONS ON THIS PAGE…
SASS Support and Other Organisations
SASS provides drop-ins, volunteering opportunities, friendship, English language skills, meals, practical help and advice and generally a warm welcome. We work with many other local organisations to provide other services including emergency help. Please call SASS on 07853 717017 if you or someone you know is in need of help. This is for people who are in the UK asylum system (or used to be in it).
Information about most of the helpful local organisations is on the HOPE IN SWANSEA app for smartphones
SASS community members and supporters can find updates, information and advice on the Swansea Asylum Seekers Support (SASS) Facebook page. Contact SASS to become a member.
English Language Classes
To join classes, please contact George on 07719 876193 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some classes are in-person (face to face). Some are on Zoom. Various levels. Provided by SASS and by Unity in Diversity. Taught by volunteers.
OTHER LOCAL ORGANISATIONS
EYST provides vital support for asylum seekers and refugees in Swansea: phone 0808 8010720
Unity in Diversity Community Drop-ins and Women’s Group
The following support is available;
- English classes at beginner and pre-intermediate level.
- Clothes, toys, house things. We will bring things to you.
- Food. We can refer to food banks or bring some food to you especially in the Manselton and Penlan areas.
- Somebody to talk to especially if you are on your own
- Advice or support
- Opportunity to volunteer and support other asylum seekers
Please call David 07531 294145 or Adella 07957 602430
- Phone mentoring of new people seeking asylum in Swansea
- Signposting and or providing information as needed
Tel: 01792 457299
Monday to Friday 10am-5pm (Call, Texts or Whatsapp messages)
British Red Cross
- Services offered to asylum seekers, refugees and those who are appeal rights exhausted:
- Destitution support, including applications for Discretionary Assistance Fund, signposting to Foodbanks, referrals to Housing Options for people with NRPF
- Cash based assistance to destitute asylum seekers and refugees with no other means of support available, following an assessment
- Remote casework and support
Telephone: 07715163869 (Lara Danielli) or email – LDanielli@redcross.org.uk
African Community Centre
- Food parcel referrals
- Volunteer drivers for food parcels and other essentials.
- REACH:ME one to one counselling for adult asylum seekers, volunteers and BAME people
- REACH – one to one counselling for asylum seeking children and young people.
- Man Talk – group sessions
- Girl Talk – group sessions
Telephone: 01792 470298 or email email@example.com
Oxfam Bookshop – The first UK Shop of Sanctuary
FAN stands for Friends And Neighbours. We have weekly meetings in Swansea – both online and ‘in-person’. A friendly and relaxed way for local people and those from around the world to meet, talk and listen to each other. We sit in a circle, talk about our daily lives, our ideas and experiences. Website: www.thefancharity.org
Swansea contact: Philippa Wisdom Philippa.firstname.lastname@example.org Phone – 07938 978397
Swansea Council Local Area Coordination(Website for info)
Help in various ways including shopping
Telephone: 01792 636707
Refer to/Support our Local Food banks and Community Initiatives
WARNING – SOME OF THIS INFORMATION ABOUT FOOD BANKS MAY BE OUT OF DATE!
Contact for referrals and/or donation drop-off times. Times provided below are for pick-up times.
Take away hot meals are available every day 7pm-8pm at Swansea Mosque.
Available to EVERYONE (25th April to 23rd May).
Address: 159a St Helens Road, Swansea. SA1 4DQ (Map)
Red Cafe – Mondays 1.00pm – 3.00pm
646 Mumbles Road, Mumbles SA3 4EA
Contact: 07815 534095
City Church – Wednesday 10.00am – 12 noon
Dyfatty Street, Swansea SA1 1QQ
Contact: 07815 534095
Life Point Church – Fridays 11.00am – 1.00pm
Fynone Road, Swansea, SA1 6BT
Cotact 07815 534095
Sketty Park Community Centre
Heather Cres, Sketty SA2 8HS
Contact: 07790 972407
Swansea Muslim Community Service
A group set up by Muslims in Swansea in response to help those who have been hit hard by the crisis in our communities. Providing food packs and essentials items and delivering it to those most in need.
For referrals contact: 07949 033493 | 07882 188573
Volunteer to help us at this difficult time.
Tel: 07853 717017