SASS is part of Swansea City of Sanctuary – see their videos featuring SASS here.
Key SASS documents (red = new July 2022)
- Registered Charity Number: 1175186
- Constitution of Swansea Asylum Seekers Support
- Annual Report 2021 16072022
- SASS Update June 2022
- SASS CC SOFA acs (FRS102) ye 31Dec21 SIGNED TC
- SASS Accounts Jan-Dec 2020
- SASS Trustees Annual Report Jan-Dec 2020
- SASS – Accounts and TAR – Financial Report – Jan-to-Dec 2019
- SASS Trustees Annual Report – Jan-to-Dec 2019
- Current Support during Covid-19
We are a volunteer-led registered charity, run and managed by our members, who include asylum seekers, refugees and other local people. We give a warm welcome to people seeking sanctuary in Swansea through our twice-weekly drop-ins, and offer practical support, educational and recreational opportunities.
Our group has existed since 1999. Local people (including refugees from Chile and other countries) started the support group when the government announced that asylum seekers would be ‘dispersed’ to Swansea. Our drop-ins began in 2001: they were organised by some of the first asylum seekers who arrived here.
To develop a community of asylum seekers, refugees and locals in Swansea and the surrounding area which will;
- Promote equality and diversity by providing activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds.
- Preserve and protect the mental and physical health of asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants through developing community and combating isolation.
- Provide facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life of those persons who have need of such facilities by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances.
- Provide education and training to asylum seekers, refugees and their dependants to advance them in life and help them to adapt within a new community.
- Advance the education of the public in general about issues relating to asylum seekers and refugees.
- Relieve poverty amongst asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants