A number of kind individuals donate to SASS/SHARE TAWE on a monthly basis using standing orders. This is of vital help to us as we struggle to secure funding. You can support us with a single or monthly amount and ensure our ongoing work.
Swansea Asylum Seekers Support
We are a volunteer-led registered charity, run and managed by our members, who include asylum seekers, refugees and other local people. We give a warm welcome to people seeking sanctuary in Swansea through our twice-weekly drop-ins, and offer practical support, educational and recreational opportunities.
Our group has existed since 1999. Local people (including refugees from Chile and other countries) started the support group when the government announced that asylum seekers would be ‘dispersed’ to Swansea. Our drop-ins began in 2001: they were organised by some of the first asylum seekers who arrived here.
To develop a community of asylum seekers, refugees and locals in Swansea and the surrounding area which will;
- Promote equality and diversity by providing activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds.
- Preserve and protect the mental and physical health of asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants through developing community and combating isolation.
- Provide facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life of those persons who have need of such facilities by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances.
- Provide education and training to asylum seekers, refugees and their dependants to advance them in life and help them to adapt within a new community.
- Advance the education of the public in general about issues relating to asylum seekers and refugees.
- Relieve poverty amongst asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants
SASS Community Drop-ins – Information Leaflet/Flyer. View/Download HERE